Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What I Ate Wednesday (And Other Tidbits)

Hi friends! One of my goals with this blog is to not only to raise awareness for the groundbreaking research being funded by your generous gifts to the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge, but to also share all aspects of this journey for those who have ever wondered what it takes to run a marathon (or for those of you who, like me, always secretly wished you could run one). The running community is so generous and I owe a great debt to the many previous and current DFMC runners who have chronicled their experiences online, experiences which eased any doubt I may have had about applying to join this amazing team this past Fall.

As the season pushes into full swing I have been receiving a lot of questions from family and friends about everything from training to what I am eating these days, so I thought I would start off by answering some of them here:

Do you have to eat differently as you train? 

Yes and no.

Yes in terms of being more conscious of the timing of what I eat and incorporating more carbohydrates throughout the week to prepare for the ever increasing mileage of our Saturday long runs. For example, since I am a morning runner I have recently discovered that it is important to incorporate more of my complex carbs at lunchtime versus dinnertime (which I try to keep to a small meal given I work late). And after several weeks of noting that I was feeling sluggish on my weekday training runs (before which I would only eat a banana) but felt way more energized for my Saturday long runs (before which I eat a slice of ezekiel toast with almond butter and a banana), I realized that I needed more fuel as I push farther and faster in my weekly training runs. As soon as I started adding more fuel before my weekday runs, I noticed an improvement in my time and stamina.
No in terms that 2014 was a year of refocusing on what I call my complete health. Not just a number on a scale or a clothing label, but making whole and healthy choices in all aspects of my life. So my eating choices are already centered around lean proteins, lots of veggies, and what I call "smart" carb choices (complex carbs high in fiber, nutrients, etc. such as quinoa, beans, etc.)  and I am already in the habit of tracking all of my food choices each day. This not only aids in both my continued weight loss and maintenance goals (I have lost fifty pounds since this time last year but hope to lose another twenty or so before I cross the finish line), but also allows me to have a record of the sort of fuel I am taking in versus how I feel in my runs. This will become even more important as we increase our mileage in the weeks to come and for the marathon itself. It will also help in keeping me healthy and strong throughout training.  

What are you eating? 

In the spirit of "What I Ate Wednesday," the below is what a typical day looks like for me. Where today was a cross-training day, I did not split my breakfast and instead had ezekiel toast, reduced sugar strawberry jam, a hard boiled egg, and tea.

Breakfast (split between pre and post run)
Pre-Run
1 slice of ezekiel toast with raw almond butter, a banana, and coffee with cream (I drink the coffee as it is a trick for asthmatic runners but I have to have cream to cut the acid/taste!) 

Post-Run
0% greek yogurt, organic blueberries, Trader Joe's organic high fiber o's, handful of almonds, mug of jasmine green tea, Trader Joe's Women's once a day multivitamin

Lunch
I aim for a combination of greens and veggies, protein, and complex carbs.
Today's lunch was one of my favorites from Trident Booksellers and Cafe called their Trident Bowl. 
Lean grilled chicken, quinoa, chickpeas, kale, micro greens, sweet potatoes, beets, and brussel sprouts.  With a freshly squeezed glass of beet, celery, kale, ginger, cucumber juice to wash it all down. Yum!



Dinner
Dinner focuses on some more protein and veggies but I try to avoid heavy carbs or choose low carb/high fiber options given the time of day we eat. Tonight's dinner will be leftover turkey tacos.
99% lean ground organic turkey, reduced fat shredded cheese (just a pinch), a dollop of 0% greek yogurt (tastes just like sour cream), diced red onion and tomatoes, some baby kale or spinach, and reduced carb high fiber mini tortillas. I have been trying to abstain from drinking alcohol during the week as even one glass of wine can make me feel sluggish the next morning, but where I am taking the next two days as vacation I may treat myself to one glass tonight!

Are you running outside through the winter? 

I am indeed running outdoors, something I never thought I could do and which inspired yesterday's post. Thus far it hasn't been too bad as long as I wear the correct gear, though tomorrow's forecast for a real feel of -20 with wind chill is making me think it will definitely be a treadmill day! I have been loving the quiet solitude that winter running offers and one of my favorite runs of the past season was been through softly falling snow- who knew?!

That's nuts - what do you wear to stay warm?!?

As for the aforementioned "correct gear," I had warned my husband that being accepted to this team would require training through the winter, which would then require me stocking up on winter running gear. And boy can that stuff get expensive! While I am certainly a bargain hunter who tends to maintain that generic items can be just as good (if not better) than name brands, I have had mixed experiences with that for running gear as we headed into the cooler months- where my cheap and easy tanks and shorts from Wal-Mart and Old Navy did the trick in summer running, I found that the tights and base layers for winter running have not held up as well and my legs were getting cold.  So I did my research and tried to keep an eye out for holiday sales, etc. and I scored some great deals. I am also an avid eBayer and have stocked up on many Under Armour items (new with tags!) for a fraction of the cost.

Obviously, one of the most important things is to be fitted for a proper pair of running shoes (I am currently in the Brooks Ravenna 5 and loving them- thanks Marathon Sports). After that, it's all about layering. Right now my go to mix includes Under Armour Cold Gear tights (again, eBay and generous Christmas presents), a base layer shirt (either tank, t-shirt, or long sleeve depending on temp outside), a North Face Animagi running jacket (I currently own two but purchased one for $75 on eBay and the other for closer to $99 with a 30% off coupon...much more than I typically like to spend but so far my two most treasured winter running pieces), Saucony drylete hats/headbands, balaclava, and ulti-mitts, and a Trail Heads fleece hat (again all courtesy of Santa and pre-holiday 40% off codes). Sock choice is also crucial and while I love, love, love Feetures for summer running, Balega Hidden Comfort have been my go to since the temperatures started dropping this Fall and I recently added a few pairs of their merino socks to my stash for cold slushy runs.  Lastly, I just received my Yak Trax to strap on my sneakers as we finally start getting snow and ice...there will surely be a forthcoming post on my adventures with these!

What are you doing besides running?

Sleeping. And eating. 

Oh sorry, you meant cross-training wise.

Logging time on the elliptical and arc trainer, and pilates 3-5x per week.  Speaking of which, time to head to class!