Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday Motivation - Gobble Gobble Edition

Happy Thanksgiving week everyone! I am looking foward to a short work week and running the Wellesley Turkey Trot on Thursday morning. The next few days will be a flurry of travel, cooking, and craziness, so before the holiday hub bub gets underway I wanted to take a few moments to reflect on the things I am most thankful for this year and which provide motivation day in and day out.

Each and every person reading this. YOU are amazing and I thank you for your love and encouragement. You send notes when I need them most. You like my silly posts and photos. You tell me to keep going even when I want to quit. You open your hearts, your faith, your ears, your wallets,and so much more to support me in this journey- I am so thankful to all of you.

My health and mobility.  
I am so thankful for these overlooked blessings. All too often we do not reflect on our health or mobility until something threatens either. I am grateful for all that my body allows me to do on a daily basis! 

My incredible husband David. I am so thankful for you. I love you more with each passing day and could not be more proud of you and all you have accomplished this past year. You want to talk about motivation? This guy relocated across the country, worked his bum off through pre-reqs and an accelerated BSN program which he graduated from with honors, AND was offered his first RN job two days after graduating (yeah, setting huge goals is sort of a thing in our household). This Thursday marks Dave's six month anniversary of working as a nurse and I could not be more inspired by the compassion he brings to his profession, by the dedication he has shown to continually learning and growing in his new career, and by the tremendous impact he is having on his patients and their families. 



I could have never gotten through this past year without Dave's love and support, and one of my absolute favorite photos of all time is when Dave surprised me as I rounded the last turn to head towards the finish line of the marathon. Dave and all of our family had waited for me at Mile 21, and given race day crowds and weather I told him not to bother trying to get to the final stretch as it would likely be impossible for him to get there in time and find a spot, etc. As I came up "Mt. Hereford" (thus dubbed because there is an ever so slight incline which feels like Everest on 26 mile legs) and approached Boylston, I looked straight ahead and saw a guy jumping up and down behind the spectators lining the barricades. It took me a moment to realize it was Dave and right when I did, someone snapped the below. Dave then proceeded to run alongside me on the sidewalk for the next block before additional barricades prevented him from going further. That medal I received moments later is just as much his as it is mine - thank you baby,  couldn't do this without you!



My family.
I am so thankful for you and am blessed beyond measure to have each of you in my life. I could fill an entire blog with posts about the lessons you have taught me, memories we have shared, and how much I love each of you. You are my rock.


                    
                       
1. Seeing my family at Mile 21
2. Getting my medal with my cousins
3. Proud Papa Naughton and his marathoner 

When you have known each other for 15+ years, and when you travel in from multiple states to surprise your friend the night before she runs her first marathon,you are more than friends -  
you are family (and yes, that is my Dad with the best photobomb ever)


My brave, silly, funny, sassy, HEALTHY patient partner Darla.
I am so thankful that you are a cancer survivor and thriver, and that I was matched with you.You have had to see and go through more in your six years of life than I have had to in thirty-three. To watch you run, jump, skip, dance, and sing is to watch blessings before my eyes. You were given back the gift of life, and you put that gift to great use each and every day. I am so thankful for you and your beautiful family, and I am so honored to run for you! 



My amazing DFMC family. 
From our fearless leaders, to my ever inspirational teammates, to every single volunteer who gives their time and energy to help this team - I am so thankful for each of you. This is much more than a team, it is a family. Thank you for welcoming me with open arms (some of you quite literally after our long runs!).  

   


My coaches.
I am so thankful for Belle and Josie, and they bring so much joy to our lives (as well as being in charge of my training, obviously...)




My BAA bling.
I know, I know. Thanksgiving is NOT a time to reflect on material things. But I just can't help it, I am so thankful for these beautiful shiny necklaces. Mere pieces of metal and fabric, yet the milestones and experiences they represent are precious to me, and I am thankful for all the memories that they symbolize.




Wishing you all a happy, healthy, and blessed Thanksgiving holiday!