Friday, September 19, 2014

Raising the Bar of Expectations

It is finally sinking in. I am running my first marathon this April.

My only prior experience with marathons involved Mad Men and popcorn, so this is a rather tall order. The shock and initial excitement of being accepted to the team has been tempered by a full realization of the challenge I have undertaken.

And yet I am still SO excited. No, really.

Scared out of my wits? Sure am!
Unsure if I can do this? Yup.
Questioning my choices? Usually do.
But still excited? Hell yeah.

One of my running inspirations is Shalane Flanagan who, as she prepares to beat the American women's marathon record next weekend in Berlin, recently said:

Sometimes I shake my head and say, 'I don't know how I'm going to do this,' but I just put my head down and try. It's amazing, when you raise the bar of expectations, you somehow just meet it if you really are motivated.

And that is how I feel about this. The bar of expectations has been raised and I am more motivated than I have ever been. Bring on the good, the bad, the warm, the cold, and everything (and all the miles) in between!

While being motivated is great, I could NOT do any of this without the tremendous support of my family and friends (one of which you likely are if you are reading this)! Since sharing that I was accepted to the 2015 DFMC team, I have been overwhelmed by all of your kind notes of encouragement, support, and congratulations - thank you! Many of you also had questions, so here are some answers:

Why are you running? 
Because of this family.

And, because of this family.

And, because cancer does not discriminate between a newborn baby or thirty-six year old Mom with young kids. It just plain sucks. So I want to do something about it and help ensure that Dana-Farber can continue its innovative research, which has consistently led to higher cure rates and advanced treatments for those bravely facing cancer.

Also, because I am healthy and I can. So many people do not have this option, for various reasons. Who am I to ignore the blessings that are my mobility and health while so many others struggle each day to maintain or reclaim their own? If there was ever a time to go after what has long been a secret goal, it is now. And so I am!

Why Boston?
My first "Marathon Monday" was shortly after we relocated to the Greater Boston area in 2012. I had no idea about the history of the marathon or this region's deep-seated love for their race. The 2012 running was historic for the abnormally high temps topping out at 89 degrees and ranking among the ten hottest days in race history.

The 2013 running was historic for far different reasons, of which you are likely well aware. Though you may not be aware that my office sits on the 26 mile point of the course. When the first bomb went off, I naively thought it may be a cannon shot or gun display in honor of Patriots Day (on which the race is ran every year). As I neared the window of our office to take in what I thought was festivities, the second bomb went off. Exactly one block from my office. The resulting moments of that day, and the week that followed, will be forever seared in my memory and heart.

The despicable acts of violence carried out on April 15, 2013 shaked my faith in humanity. But the strength, determination, love, and support of the Boston community on and since that day has helped me to see the sheer power and goodness of humanity. Hopefully in the future I can more eloquently capture my emotions about that day and what this race now means to me and to this city. But that is another post for another day. So until then - why Boston?  Because there is nowhere else I would rather take on this test of endurance and celebration of human resilience than in a city that has become a shining symbol for both.

Are you already training?  
Umm, sort of? I am in the midst of training for the Boston Half Marathon which I am running on October 12th. Which is half the marathon distance, hence the title. Only half. 13.1 miles. And I need to build up to 26.2 miles. Oh goodness, what I have done. Is it hot in here? I am starting to sweat a bit. And my stomach hurts. I think maybe I misread the marathon distance and thought it was 16.2. That is still a lot of miles. Ahhhh. What have I gotten myself into? Googling "marathon distance." Hmmm, wait- it burns HOW many calories? Googling "how many cookies can you eat after a marathon." Okay. Feeling a little better. I think I can do this guys...

So yeah. Physical training is only one component of any sort of training. Much of it is mental and not to be underestimated. I am constantly mentally training (myself to be motivated and run vs. eating cookies). After the half marathon, I will maintain my base mileage and mental motivation until our official marathon training begins in early December. The 18 week training plans we will follow have been designed by team advisor and 1976 Boston marathon winner Jack Fultz, and I am deeply grateful to have Jack's leadership and guidance on this journey. Our team will also have monthly meetings and group long runs starting in November, which will be an exciting element of training and also give me the chance to meet some new running friends as well.

And speaking of training, tomorrow's long run calls for 12 miles so I suppose I should go plan my route...and post-run snacks...but really, my route...


This pretty much sums it up...