Monday, September 15, 2014

Falmouth Recap: Race Expo/Weekend

Dave didn't have class the Friday before the race (which is always held on Sunday) so I took the day off and we headed down to Falmouth early to beat the crowds and traffic.  Once we got into town we headed over to the expo so I could pick up my bib, race bag, and browse the goodies.  Up to the point I had been pretty relaxed and calm.  However, once we turned into the parking lot and I saw all the runners with their bags, etc. it really hit me that I was running in one of the most famous races in the country!

We headed inside and to the section designated for bib pick-up.  With more than 11,000 bibs to be handed out, the tables lined the entire far side of the gym where the expo is held. I headed over to the table for my number and made three amazing volunteers giggle by how excited I was.  Bib in hand, I posed for a few pictures near the course map.

Just a teeny bit excited to have my bib...


Then we headed over to another line to pick up my swag bag. Most races give out t-shirts but Falmouth gives a commemorative mug, reusable shopping tote, and an official race magazine highlighting the race from the year prior and a poster.  Pretty neat!  Then it was a quick lap around the other booths/vendors loading up my bag with some free samples (energy bar samples, etc.) before ending back at presenting sponsor New Balance for some official race gear.  I settled on a comfy sweatshirt which was a popular choice as they were already out of stock in certain sizes.

On our way out we had a chance to meet and talk with Dick Hoyt.  Dick and his son Rick make up Team Hoyt, and they are the definition of inspiration, dedication, and love. Once Dick learned it was my first time running Falmouth, he started telling me little tips for the course and said the most important thing was to have fun and take in the beautiful course.  It was an honor meeting Mr. Hoyt and knowing I would be sharing in a race that he and his son love so much.  

Soon it was time to depart the expo so I could get ready for New Balance's Girls Night Out shakeout run and pre-race event that evening.  Thanks to the generosity of our amazing cousins, we were able to stay at their beautiful summer home which is basically the file mile point on the race course.  We were so grateful and blessed to have such a wonderful place to stay for the race weekend and it made the entire weekend so enjoyable and relaxing (despite my race excitement/nerves!).  After dropping our bags, I quickly threw on my running gear and headed over to Falmouth Heights (near the finish line) for the New Balance event. 

While waiting in the check-in line, the woman behind me struck up a conversation.  Turns out, we both went to SUNY Oswego for undergrad and were theatre majors! Small world.   Her name is Benita Zahn and she is now an anchor for Channel 13 in Albany, as well as active in the local theatre scene there. Despite having graduated twenty years apart, Benita and I knew many of the "legends" from Oswego and we had a few laughs while waiting in line.  Benita had ran Falmouth many times and gave me some good tips for the course - including where they take your pictures along the way!

After a few introductions from the New Balance team, we took off for our 3 mile fun run. While I had my headphones in case, I ran most of the run without them just enjoying the ocean and cool breeze.  It was also our first taste of the amazing support that Falmouth runners feel on race day as people started coming out on their balconies and lawns to clap for us and cheer us on (at around 50 women runners strong, our group definitely drew some attention as we made our way along the coast).  After the race we were treated to some tasty snacks and drinks, as well as a Q&A with the New Balance elite runners.   It was fun to hear about their professional schedules, hear some tips, and also learn I am not the only one who is very particular about my pre-run/race routine!  It was a fun event and we each got a nice tote bag with a water bottle and other goodies.  By the time the New Balance event was over the temps had dropped a bit and my new Falmouth sweatshirt came in handy while treating myself to one glass of red wine under the stars with Dave to calm my nerves after a day of pre-race excitement!

The next day (Saturday) we enjoyed a nice easy day at the house and beach while the rest of our family made their way "down the Cape" to join us, and I made sure to drink plenty of water and some Strawberry-Lemonade Nuun (my favorite!).  With my 5:00am wake-up call looming, I set out all my clothes and gear for the next day and hit the pillow by 8:00pm (finally falling asleep by 9:00pm'sh).  

Everything ready for 5:00am...