Monday, April 4, 2016

Monday Motivation: 2 Weeks and Counting!

Last year we trained through one of the worst winters on record, so it would not have surprised me in the least if it had snowed in early April or even on Marathon Monday itself. But this year has been a completely different story (in many ways) and in contrast to last year, we barely got any snow. Apparently Mother Nature has decided to make up for that and it has been snowing since the weekend.

Thus is the first thing you learn when training for and running a marathon: anything can and will happen. The second thing? You have very little control over it. So, when I came out to my car this morning and it was encased within 3 inches of ice with another 3 inches of snow on top of it, well, all I could do was laugh (okay fine - I may have let a few expletives slip out before I started laughing). It is what it is and, as they say, if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute.  And with two weeks to go, even some unexpected snow can't dampen the marathon excitement that is continuing to build each day. I had to stop myself from dancing around with glee when I went to snap this photo to show ya'll the view of snowy Boylston street and saw that New Balance had unveiled a new "Nobody Runs Like Boston" sign at the 26 mile mark.



This past Saturday I wrapped up my major training with a rainy 11 miler in NYC. While I had planned to do an 18 miler, I had to cut my run short for good reason - my parents were making record time on their drive to NYC, and the entire point of my visit was to surprise my Dad with tickets to the Rangers game for his 60th birthday. My planned route had me starting down in Union Square and running across 14th Street, then cutting down to 10th before cutting over to pick up the East River greenway. From there I planned on wrapping around the bottom of Manhattan, past the Battery, and straight on up the Hudson greenway to the very top of Manhattan which is my old neighborhood. Riding the A train downtown bright and early, I thought back to years ago when I was new to the city and trying to find my way to the multitude of studios and theatres. I would find comfort in spotting fellow performers with a day's worth of music, dance gear, and headshots shoved into a bag with one script or another in hand, and then I would follow them as they expertly weaved their way through the stations and streets towards yet another audition line. Upon arriving you would share a quick nod of solidarity that you were both there for the same reason, with the same hopes. "These are my people" I used to think. It was a bittersweet memory as I reflected on how different my life is now - and not at all different in a bad way, just so different than what my 22 year old self used to daydream about on that very same train.

As the train finally lurched to a halt at 14th street, I shook away the nostalgia and focused on the run at hand. As the doors opened and the crowd surged onto the platform, I noticed a group of 5 runners come out of the neighboring car. With their loaded fuel belts, GPS watches, and rain layers akin to my own, I couldn't hold back my smile as I thought "THESE are my people now!" I practically skipped up the steps as we exited the station and as we spilled out onto the sidewalk we were greeted by a torrential downpour. There was just enough time for quick nod of solidarity at the dismal conditions before we each went our separate way. "Maybe things haven't changed all that much after all" I thought as I set out on my run.

Despite the rain, there were many runners out and about on the greenway. I tried not to worry about pace and just let myself get out of my head and enjoy the run. I snapped a few photos along the way (mainly for Dave who was keeping Grandpa company at breakfast and sharing my GPS link so they could track me), and then just as I rounded the Battery the rain slowly tapered off and it warmed up a bit. I continued northbound and started to get excited about my favorite stretches of the Hudson greenway past the 72nd street boat basin, etc. but that is when I learned my parents were likely going to arrive much sooner than planned and once you get onto that stretch of the greenway, it's a little bit more difficult to dash back over towards the trains/cabs. I was feeling great but definitely didn't want to risk being late so I decided to adjust my route and run back towards Columbus Circle where I knew I could use restrooms, grab a recovery drink, and hop back on the train uptown.  It must have been fate because my watch clicked to 11 miles even just as I came to the entrance to the shops. Despite cutting it short, I felt good about the run and had no pain or other issues - so mentally and physically, I count it as a win!



It is really hard to believe we are at the two week mark, made even harder by looking at the snow which continues to swirl outside my office window. The focus now will continue to be on staying healthy, hydrated, rested, and focused on why and for who I am running. More to come this week as we head into the final weeks!