Monday, December 29, 2014

Monday Motivation

Last week I learned I have been selected for the DFMC Partner Program which pairs DFMC runners with children currently or previously treated at Dana-Farber's world-renowned Jimmy Fund Clinic. While I hope to post additional updates about my patient partner in the coming months, understandably this will be dependent upon the wishes of my partner and her family. It will be a few more weeks until our "Meet Your Match" welcome party however, until that time, I can tell you that my patient partner is five years old, battling leukemia, and much braver than I will ever be.

On Marathon Monday, the patient partners and their families will gather at Mile 25 to cheer on the DFMC runners, wave signs and posters, share hugs, and remind us why every single step was worth it. As I said to my husband after learning I had been selected for this inspiring program, "well now the marathon isn't so intimidating...it's just a 25 mile run with a 1.2 mile cool-down!" Because there is NO way I am not reaching that sweet girl who will be waiting to high-five me at Mile 25!

So in honor of my patient partner, today's motivating impact statement focuses on research which has helped improve treatment potency for those bravely fighting leukemia and lymphoma. Although our current therapies cure about half of all patients with leukemia and lymphoma, the other half fail treatment because their diseases become resistant to treatment. This often happens as a result of genetic alterations in their leukemia and lymphoma cells. Barr funding in 2008-‘09  allowed David Weinstock, MD, to use a powerful new technology called next-generation sequencing to identify the genes that can cause this kind of resistance. Drugs that inactivate these genes could prevent resistance and lead to cures in many more patients.

This is the sort of cutting edge research that your generous gifts are funding!  Incredible stuff, truly. 
As we wrap up the last Monday Motivation of 2014 I want to thank each and every one of you have donated so far, as well as the many others who have indicated they plan to do so in the New Year. Every single dollar really does have an impact and you are helping to save lives, shape the future of cancer prevention and treatment, and push us towards the ultimate finish line: a world without cancer.  

111 Days!