Wednesday, March 20, 2019

First Day of Spring and The Road Less Traveled

As of 5:58pm it is finally spring - hurrah! And Boston showed winter the door with an absolutely gorgeous day. I snuck in a few lunchtime miles around the Charles and it felt great to be out in the sunshine (even if I was slightly overdressed after pivoting from an early morning run to midday when temps were much higher).

Panoramic view of the Charles River prior to turning onto the Mass Ave Bridge - what a gorgeous day for a run! 


As I approached the Longfellow Bridge during my run, I snapped a picture of something which so perfectly encapsulates marathon training - well, really any big goal or undertaking. After cresting the small hill which takes you up a pedestrian bridge to cross over to the Longfellow, you are faced with two options. You can cut down a staircase and back up a set of stairs that allows you to bypass a section of the uphill start to the bridge or you can run all the way around and start at the base of the bridge with the full uphill.

Easy way to the left or harder way to the right 

It would have been all too easy to take the stairs and bypass the full uphill, but then again you don't accomplish big goals by taking the easy way out. I quickly snapped a pic and then made my way down to the base of the bridge to take on the uphill. And you know what? It was such a beautiful day - and low and behold running countless hills every weekend really does pay off - I was coming up over the top of the bridge in no time.


All in I clocked 4 miles and once again found myself trending faster with a 9:58 pace (I know that is slow for some but it's been a while since this Mama has seen sub-10 paces on shorter runs!) I didn't even realize I was running faster as it just felt so good to be outside stretching my legs! I could have done without my Garmin freezing near the end of my run and having to run back/forth to get the full mileage but at least it gave people on the street something to laugh at.

Off to bed later than planned as I've got a longer run bright and early, followed by a gentle yoga day on Friday and then tackling our big 20 miler on Saturday!


10 Days: Left in my March Marathon Madness Opportunity Drawings (see the trailer below and click HERE for more details - every $10 = 1 entry; $25 = 3 entries) 

26 Days: Until the 123rd Boston Marathon