Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday Motivation: Blizzard Edition, Part 2

Dear Winter,

We need to stop meeting like this. This is the second week in a row you have desperately tried to convince me that a Netflix marathon is more fun than that of the running variety. You have lured me with your promises of cozy pajamas and hot chocolate, versus running layers and power gels. But enough is enough. It was fun in the beginning but you have overstayed your welcome and this relationship has grown toxic. Please pack your things and send Spring to replace you immediately.  I hear there are openings in Antarctica and wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Erin (and every other runner in New England)
________________________________________________________

No but seriously guys, I am looking out my window right now and there is yet another whiteout. Snow billowing everywhere, my local streets are impassable, and don't even get me started on the fact that this newest storm was due to taper off by now...but somehow it looks like the snow is coming down even faster/harder than earlier?!? Sigh.

I knew that training for a marathon through winter in New England would present its fair share of challenges in cold temps, black ice, etc. but I seriously underestimated the snow, especially after how light the past few winter seasons have been. Living in the suburbs where high snowbanks, reduced visibility, and the lack of sidewalks combine to create extremely dangerous running conditions has been an unexpected obstacle. Since I do the majority of my running in Boston, I take for granted the multitude of pedestrian walkways and running loops that the city offers me. For example, I recently learned that New Balance pays to have the Boston side of the Charles plowed out for runners (as this is one of the most popular running routes in the city) - how cool is that?!?  However, when the powers that be impose travel bans and/or appeal for drivers to stay off the roads, I am stuck staying put in the 'burbs. And my gym is closed meaning that the "dreadmill" isn't an option either. Frustrated is an understatement. However today's storm was likely a blessing in disguise as Saturday's frigid 14 miler left me with some unexpected soreness in my left foot which was still pestering me yesterday (luckily no pain today, phew!) so probably that this gives it another day's rest before back out pounding the frozen pavement. I will still put in a good core workout and some weight training now before the day is out, and tomorrow morning I will be back out tackling the streets of Boston bright and early.

While things may have gotten a bit off track training wise, they are moving full steam ahead on the fundraising front! Thanks to the generous support of those who purchased a "Super Bowl Square for Cancer Research," a $1500 donation was made to my DFMC page this past week and a $1000 partial corporate match is in process. Once this clears, I will be just shy of 70% towards my goal of raising $10,000 for the Barr Program!

Vital funds which help support investigators like Rani George, MD, PhD who discovered that about 10% of pediatric neuroblastoma tumors contain a specific mutation, leading to the possible use of drugs that have already proven successful in treating other cancers that have the same mutation. Neuroblastoma has historically been a very difficult cancer to treat in children, and, although chemotherapy and stem cell transplants have improved survival, relapse is common and nearly almost always fatal. With Barr support, Dr. George discovered that a significant number of neuroblastoma tumors contain a mutation in the gene ALK. Several successful drugs already exist to treat other types of cancer that demonstrate these same ALK mutations, and Dr. George and her team have initiated clinical trials that could result in new treatments that will improve survival for children with neuroblastoma.

Thank you for your support- together we are helping to make an impact and advance this life changing and saving research, and each day we draw closer to the ultimate finish line and a world without cancer!

T-Minus 76 days!




Fitting - and in honor of my Frozen loving Patient Partner Darla
(check out my upcoming post for more info on this awesome girl!)